I always keep one toiletry bag fully stocked because its one less thing I have to worry about when I’m packing. Then I keep it in my suitcase, so the only thing I really need to add are my clothes.
Get in the habit of swiping hotel toiletries where you can—where do you think I’ve picked up the Crabtree stuff? At a Doubletree, of course—and keeping cosmetic samples, which often work very well for traveling because they are so compact. Otherwise, it’s not hard keeping the bag stocked by buying travel-sized toiletries. If I’m running low on a particular item, I tend to replace it almost right away so I know I never have to think about it.
This list should encompass any type of liquid you would need under the sun, for any type of emergency. Keep in mind that if you decide to carry the full 100 milliliters (or 3.38 ounces) of each product, that’s actually quite a bit. I would opt for carrying that much if you were going for an extended trip (three weeks or longer), but you won’t be able to carry on the full range of products below. I find that I get by quite sufficiently on my typical stock for about two weeks, give or take a few days.
(It’s cheaper to buy these things in store and the exact sizes may not also be available online. There is, of course, no reason to buy any of the specific brands below.)
- Cleanser: 1.o oz (28 g) St. Ives Fresh Skin Apricot Scrub
- Toner: 1.7 oz (50 mL) Muji Light Toning Water
- Moisturizer: 2.0 oz (56 g) Fruit of the Loom Aloe Vera Gel
- Sunscreen: 1.0 oz (30 mL) Coppertone Sport, Ultra Sweatproof SPF 30
- Toothpaste: 0.85 oz (24 g) Crest Pro-Health Whitening Toothpaste
- Mouthwash: 2.0 oz (60 mL) Colgate Total Advanced Pro-Shield Peppermint Wash
- Shampoo: 0.9 oz (27 mL) Crabtree & Evelyn Citron Honey & Coriander Shampoo
- Conditioner: 0.9 oz (27 mL) Crabtree & Evelyn Citron Honey & Coriander Conditioner
- Shower Gel: 0.9 oz (27 mL) Crabtree & Evelyn Citron Honey & Coriander Shower Gel
- Body Lotion: 0.9 oz (27 mL) Crabtree & Evelyn Citron Honey & Coriander Lotion
- Antacid Tablets: TUMS Smoothies Calcium Chewable Tablets (12)
- Bug Repellent: 25 mL OFF! Overtime
- Mosquito Wipes: Brandless packet
- Wet Nap: Brandless packet
- Shaving Cream: Brandless packet
Phew. That’s 15 separate items. Not including my liquid makeup when I’ve got to throw it in the bag for security. It still usually fits fine, even after all of that stuff.
Other things, like deodorant, hairbrushes, mirrors and non-liquid makeup can usually go in a separate compartment in your bag. These things generally don’t need to go through security.